Monday, January 23, 2012

Blog Assignment 1

Hello, my name is Katrina D. Williams, and I am currently attending the University of South Alabama. The state of Alabama is where I have resided all twenty years of my life, as well as the rest of my immediate family. Family means a lot to me, as it should for everyone else. I absolutely love my mother, she is my strength, my rock and one of my best friends. I have yet to go a single day without speaking with her, and if I don't I feel as if I missed out on something. I grew up in a small town by the name of Hurtsboro, where I went through the phase of trying to figure out my many likes and dislikes. As a child I enjoyed dancing and still to this day it is a passion of mine. As I grew I also enjoyed the game of basketball, but I disliked actually participating with a team. Back in my childhood year’s one would have placed me in a category with the tomboys because it was definitely hard to be as some would say, “a girly girl”. I have a total of three brothers, all older, and all very over protective. My youngest brother and I are close in age; as children we spent a lot of time together, so playing with dolls or any little girl toy was awkward. For some reason it was easier to just make up silly games, or to just settle with playing with his toys.

As the years progressed I reached the adolescent stage of life and I discovered that being categorized as a tomboy just didn’t fit. When I entered high school I went out for the cheerleading squad, which in my eyes was a huge step closer to being more girly. Try-outs were hectic and I almost didn’t make the team, but when I open my envelope it revealed that I had made the cheerleading squad. The excitement I felt was inexpressible, and I told myself I wouldn't be categorized as anything other than me; after that day I made cheerleading one of my top priorities. I proceeded to try-out each year and as a senior I was voted captain of the squad. After strongly finishing my senior, I applied for and received an academic scholarship to attend Southern Union State Community College for two years.

During my first two years at SUSCC my mind constantly wondered what was I good at and what did I see myself doing in the near future. I had a chosen Business Accounting as a major entering college because of a sudden interest during a high school course, but as I started into the degree program for that major I could not see myself as an accountant. I began to think of all the things I loved doing, and after a few days of thinking I realized that all of my life I never had a problem with speaking to a person and in return listening to what they have to say. I also remembered that giving great advice was also one of my signature qualities. That brought me to the idea of being a counselor. I love helping others and I felt that the younger generation is what I would focus on first. My major had to be changed to Education because in order for me to practice counseling I would have to teach for at least a total of two years. I chose Secondary Education as my major and now I’m at the University of South Alabama pursuing my degree in mathematics.

Randy Pausch on Time Management
This video on time management was extremely helpful, in the sense of knowing that once you create a goal or a to-do list there is a purpose for whatever needs to be done. I also learned it’s good to plan daily and whether or not the task is completed is a matter of actually planning it from the start. Dr. Pausch’s life was taken July of 2008 due to cancer, and in a lot of ways I feel his life was the best example of managing time. He never strayed from his plan to continue educating while preparing to leave his family as well.

Penn State University Time Management
I’m finding the subject of time management very coincidental to myself. Half of things on the list in this study I would usually say or do. The ideas given to be better with managing your time were all very constructive. I created a calendar with all my weekly events and it definitely helps to have a plan of what is to be done daily. It’s very hard to adapt to being away from home and not having the extra push of someone you’re used to, and this study definitely gives one a push to be more responsible for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Katrina it was fun getting to know a little about you by reading your blog. It sounds like your mother and the rest of your family means a lot to you. That is something I can relate to as I try and make family one of the top priorities in my life. I really like the fact that you mentioned you enjoyed the game of basketball when growing up. Basketball I would say is my true passion. Even though you became a cheerleader instead of a basketball player, I am glad you were able to find something to pursue. I don’t know much about cheerleading, but I do know what it is like to be a team captain. Just like you, I was voted team captain my senior year in basketball.
    As for me, I can really relate with you and your decision on becoming a counselor. I also love helping people and feel that the younger generation is what we should focus on first. As I mentioned, my passion for basketball this past year blessed me with the opportunity to be a basketball coach. Prior to becoming a coach, I graduated from Auburn University where I was a part of the men’s basketball program for four years. So, I understand the influence of a coach from a players perspective. But after this year of coaching I understand the importance of how a coach can impact a young players life, much like a teacher or counselor. It is something I would love to do the rest of my life which is why I’m returning to pursue my degree in physical education at South Alabama.
    It looks like your blog is off to a great start. Hopefully you will get the chance to read my blog to get to know me a little more. I hope you continue to love helping others just as I hope to do through teaching and coaching. I would like to leave you with one of my favorite quotes about influencing young people by legendary coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, “the idea of molding young men means a whole lot to me.” Great job!

    ReplyDelete