Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post #9

What I've Learned This Year (2008-09)
I really enjoyed reading about Mr. McClung’s first few years of teaching. Before I read this post I noticed the picture he included in the post that read, "An important decision I made this year is to remain positive. It is very important to have a positive outlook on things although we may not like the situations that involve us. Mr. McClung began his evaluation with how to read the crowd, in which he explained how he learned to let the audience drive his instructions. I feel that we can never be fully prepared to teach students just as he also explained a while later in a portion he called be flexible.

Flexibility is major when it comes to being an educator, students are going to be the top priorities and sometimes we may have to work with some a little more than others. In a portion called be reasonable he expressed how teachers sometimes have high expectations for students, making it hard for the student to achieve whatever the goal may be. When children fail to grasp the concept of things, Mr. McClung believes we the teachers should dust the children off and encourage them to try again. There are too many so-called educators who don't care enough to make sure students understand what it is that they are learning. I especially enjoyed the section don't be afraid of Technology. I feel that I can be afraid of technology, but I am learning just as he said that technology is my friend and Edm310 is also helping me let my guard down when it comes to accepting that technology WILL BE apart of our education system until the end of time.

Learning Flexibility TITLE=
What I Learned This Year (2010-11)
I would describe this year description as short and sweet, which shows that Mr. McClung was getting the hang of things. The first thing listed was know your boss. We all have been victims of people pleasing even if we are the ones being pleased. It's okay to want to be accepted, but never forget your why we are in this area of work. Once again the students are the importance so all the energy of pleasing should be the same effort put into educating.

One thing he talked about that I definitely am not afraid to be is an outsider. Mr. McClung's tells us how he prefers to be more engage with his students than the faculty and I will probably act in this way as an educator myself. He is happy about the teacher he has become and as long as the students are learning, and he is proud of himself and his work ethic then no one else really matters. He ended this post with don't get comfortable, which is good for any occupation. As a teacher things are liable to change multiple of times throughout a year. Mr. McCklung says it well that routines are good in the sense that they allow a person to be more effective, but can also be bad because they can foster apathy. I enjoyed this post and I have enjoyed this blog as well. I am glad Mr. McClung decided to do this it is not only helpful to him in which he can recall or refer to but it is also helpful for me.

1 comment: